Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Let's take it one week at a time.....

!!!!Warning!!!! This post is a bit all over the place.....

I am in the middle of watching yesterday's Oprah, and it is all about being a mom. It's a great episode, so if you haven't had a chance to see it, my guess is that you can find it online somewhere.

Anyways, Oprah and her guests were talking about what a tough job being a mom is, and they said that what every mom needs is a wife (hilarious & true!). So, my brain started spinning (even more than usual). I am well aware that no one is perfect, nor will we ever be in this life. I don't feel I have unrealistic expectations about my goals as a woman, wife & mother, although I know my many lists are a bit out of control. After talking to many friends about this, I've decided that I really just don't understand all the talk about felling pressure to be some sort of super mom, or feeling guilty about not being one. I can honestly say that I don't compare myself to anyone. Any pressure that I may feel is just me trying to be the best me that I can be. Some days I fall short. Some days, I feel awesome.

I think that many moms feeling guilty about something need to either fix the situation, or get over it. I think that maybe 90% of the time you hear someone speaking out about how they don't measure up, they really just want to you to tell them that they are great and lots of other fluff. I like to hear nice things about myself- who doesn't? But maybe, just maybe, instead of feeding someone a line about how 'normal they are' and that 'everyone goes through this', we could actually offer to do something to help them.

I was at my friend Sara's house last week, and I mentioned that we should get a few ladies together, and rotate 'fixing' each other. I think she thought I was joking.... If we all worked together, we could accomplish so much. We each have different strengths & talents, so why not use them? Someone shouldn't have to die or give birth to get a meal!!

So, here is my plan. First, I think I am going to take a good long look at the dishes piling up in my sink. Then, I'm going to daydream about a day that I could just daydream, no interruptions, all day long. After that, I might take a look at my latest to do list, and add a few things that I've already done, because it feels oh-so-good to cross something off. Finally, I think I might catch up on my Judge Judy watching. They are starting to clog up my dvr, and when I watch something and delete it, it's almost like crossing something off a list.

3 comments:

kellibattraw said...

You're too funny. I was just talking with Jessica S. and Shennie about how we should swap chores... I'll gladly do laundry if someone wants to sweep and mop for me. : )

Unknown said...

Okay Jess, we need you back! You were the BEST friend for helping overwhelmed moms- me to be exact. You know the struggles I had and I have always appreciated your meals, socializing, and shopping to-dos.
And by the way, quit giving Oprah ratings.

snbjork said...

You're awesome. I love that you just put things out there and you're okay with who you are. And, okay, I'm with you on this!

I'll gladly make dinners or babysit in exchange for getting my house organized on a dime (that's about all I have...maybe a quarter). I'm so clueless about organizing and get so frazzled and overwhelmed when I think about it.

What do you need (besides your own talk show)??